Sunday, May 03, 2009

Weight Watchers + Beck Diet = a new day?

To do Beck, you have to choose a plan. I haven't wanted to commit to a plan for a long time. I think it's because I haven't wanted to limit what I eat other than to (theoretically) choose healther things. Until I want chocolate. It's been a long time since I've tried to get to the bottom of why I eat the way I do. I used to blame Mom. Now I have to look at other factors - stress, feeling entitled, feeling like I deserve to be indulged. (Maybe it is still all about Mom?)

I want to stick to positive self-talk, not catalogue my failings. So I can say this:
- I've exercised regularly for a long time now. I can run five miles.
- I tend to eat on the healthier side - there's at least some fruit and veggies every day, lean proteins, legumes, a decent amount of calcium. (I keep thinking of caveats and "buts" and deleting them. Positive things only.) I don't eat McDonalds or any fast food. When I have treats it's usually something worth it - dark chocolate.

I'm not finding a lot else good to say right now so I'll stop here. Tomorrow I weigh in (it will be somewhere around 207) and begin Weight Watchers online. (I may try to catch a meeting too - the timing might actually work out - the only meeting around here is Tuesday at 5:15 - right after I drop my daughter off at softball practice, one mile away.)

What choices I will make:
  • Plan my day's food in advance. One tip I read: write it all down in pencil at the beginning of hte day, and copy over in pen as I actually eat it. I have a new journal I bought just for this, and I'm putting points values of foods I usually eat for reference.
  • Choose exercise every day. The 20 minute workout plus: walking at lunch, or swimming, or an evening walk with the kids... something real, at least twice, every day. No excuses.
  • Follow Beck. (i.e. eat sitting down, no mindless munching, focus on why (that picture of me that recently appeared on Facebook with the worlds' most unattractive double chin is a good motivator!)
  • Not give up.
My first goal: 5% of my weight. That's a lot - over 10 pounds. So 2 pound increments are my intermediate goal. And to think positive!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You can do it!! :-)

LBTEPA said...

There is no way you will give up - you're not the same Jenny you were before, you know more and you have learned lots already.
WRT the exercise - sometimes you just can't! Make sure you keep your eyes on your goal but not beat yourself up for when the other parts of you r life get in the way.
Keep posting, we want to hear about the first 2lb, and the next, and the next....