Thursday, July 09, 2009

Boot Camp

My dream come true: I have organized a runner's boot camp for our little Marathon training group. (I arranged time, place and leader.) It's lovely to work out with a small group of people, outdoors in the evening. It's hard - very hard - and lots of fun. I can see that my confidence will come back, and my performance will improve, by sticking with this. There are only 8 sessions - the month of July - and then fearless leader Tina will go on vacation. But I think I'll make a lot of progress. 2 of these, one long run, some bike rides with the kids, and a swim or two if I can possibly fit it in.

I've lost a couple of pounds in the last week or two (not close to what I've gained - down 3 or 4 of the 15 or so I've gained) - not by following a specific program or plan, but by exercising every day and by not snacking between meals. I think the hardest thing is to feel like it's OK to be a little bit hungry - you don't have to feel overstuffed every minute. I have to learn that lesson over and over again in my life. That, and the self-awareness to say: I've had ice cream today, so no wine. Or I want a glass of wine later, so no ice cream now. This week, it's working.

I have two goals: to get under 190 pounds and stay there, and to run a half-marathon in 12 minute miles (about 2:37). Right now I weigh about 205, and I did the half-marathon in 14:15 miles last year. I have four months to get there. I think the weight could happen. Could the speed?

2 comments:

LBTEPA said...

You can certainly do that :) Dream Big darl!

Unknown said...

Best wishes. dream it, then do it!!