Friday, January 12, 2007

In the swim

I haven't run in a few weeks - trying to help my back heal, which it's finally starting to do - but I got back in the pool today. I was trying to test myself against the swimmers on either side of me - I could definitely outstrip Betty if I really tried, though not for long - after six or eight lengths I had to take a break -- but Carl was about 25% faster on every length, even though his form wasn't "perfect" according to the book I'm reading (his legs sank) - he must have a lot of power. I was really trying to focus on form - "press the buoy" "sweet spot" etc and realized when I was doing my "closed fist" drills that I'm doing something wrong when I take a breath - I sink, and use my extended hand to hold me up. I'll have to go back to the book to see more about what I should do about that!

I am itching to get out for a long bike ride (without Miss A. - she's doing great but I don't want to make her try to ride a full 13 miles yet!) but don't know when I can. If the weather is nice on Monday perhaps I can do a morning swim and a midday ride, especially if F. takes the day off and can pick them up from school. I think I'll try a real run Sunday morning - test my fitness! My weight is just about back to where it was at my lowest before all the holidays began - now I can really focus on my next goal.

1 comment:

RUTH said...

Now swimming is one thing I can do....i'd join you on that but running and cycling...puff puff pant pant......you'd definitely leave me standing. Hope you get your swim/ride ok on Monday
Take care
Rx
p.s. Well done getting the Holiday weight down.