Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It's been a while...

Since I've posted, but I haven't stopped working towards my goals, of increased fitness, weight loss and eventually another triathlon. Time seems oddly less available in the summer, especially on weekends lately. I've been running a farmer's market on Saturdays, which takes away my morning workout time, and it's utterly exhausting. Many other big events at work - an arts festival, our Harry Potter party (see my other blog for details on all!) and the kids' weird schedule (and a nasty cold I'm fighting) have all made it harder to squeeze in the time. But when I run, I'm trying to run faster to make up for it being shorter, and when I swim I'm really focusing on my TI technique. Today I took a long hard bike ride (long and hard for me, that is) t0 guage my readiness for the Harlem Valley Rail Ride on Sunday. I had planned to do the 30 mile trip (you can do 22, 30, 50, 75 or 100) but tonight's ride, at 12 miles, whipped my butt so I think I might do the 22 instead - don't know how I could manage 30 in only 5 days! Here's the profile of what I did today. To those of you who are serious bikers, does this look hard to you? The hills seem steep to me, but I don't have anything to compare it to! BIKE LOOP
I don't know how all you other bloggers manage to post these (I guess you download from your Garmins?) I have to map it at the USATF website, then do a complicated bit of copying, pasting, cropping, cutting, pasting, uploading, etc. to get it in my blog!

All in all I feel I've come out of a slump - I'd gained some weight back but have lost it and a bit more, arriving at my lowest weight in quite a few years. Overall progress is slow - it's been almost 30 pounds since last May, but only 5 since January. I really need to lose another 10 (for health) to 20 (for vanity) to maybe even 30 (for serious athletic performance!) but I'm genuinely proud of how far I've come, since I'd basically given up on myself! I'm still not sure yet about my next triathlon - it's hard to find the time for the intensive training and there is that swim issue... but I know I'll do another some day, maybe August 11, maybe sometime after!

4 comments:

LBTEPA said...

coming out of a slump is the BEST feeling :)
Congratulations on the new low weight (every five years you get to start again, did you know that?)

RUTH said...

Glad to hear the training is going ok. Well done! on the weight loss; something I must seriously consider now I'm less active, I can feel my waistband becoming tighter :o( I keep wondering if I should get myself a bicycle; I haven't ridden one since I was a kid. I wonder if it's true that once you've learnt how to ride one you never forget?
Rx

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I open the profile up in the Garmin application, and the press Shift+PRTSC. Then I open up a "new" picture in mmy image editor (I use photoshop) and press CTRL+V. Then I edit. Email me if you need help with this.

KrissyGo! said...

Get another tri on the calendar, stat. Sometimes it's just the kickstart we need...