Sunday, March 23, 2008

A mixed bag this week

I ate a lot of chocolate this weekend. Lots of bread-and-cheese type things, not so great on the fruits and vegetables. I didn't go nuts, and I didn't drink too much, and tomorrow is another day!

I did my longest long run in 6 months - I'm 5 minutes ahead of the schedule I set for myself. The run itself was a hair shy of 4 miles, and I was consistent at run 5 (or better), walk 1 (or occasionally 1:30.) I've noticed my heart rate changing too - a month ago I couldn't keep going if I hit 150 - I'd be gasping for breath. Now I can keep going for a while in the low to mid 150's. I think that's a good thing, right? But I'm sore now - I hope I didn't push too hard by adding a full mile and nearly 10 minutes to last week's run. I don't think I'll add that much again next week. (One advantage to running farther- change of scenery! The farthest end of the 5 mile loop I'm working up to is lovely.)

On the other hand, I missed a few workouts this week due to cold/rain and busy schedule. I ran Sunday and Monday, did spinning on Tuesday, and then basically nothing til Saturday.
I've also realized that my arms and chest are ridiculously weak - everyone else in my Pilates class and sustain a plank for a minute or more, but my lower back cries out in agony after 20 seconds. Time to get back to the balance ball.

My goal for this week: do FitDay every day and GET ENOUGH SLEEP. (I slept 11 hours last night - catching up on WEEKS of deficit.)

My first race of the season is 5 weeks away - the Sharon Classic. I did it last year in 61:20 - can I match that this year?

3 comments:

LBTEPA said...

Hey how cool is that about your HR? (note to self: get a HRM!)
Sleep is THE BEST, but so hard to prioritise :(

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I know how you feel about the noodly arm thing...my goal this year is to be able to do 5 pushups in a row!

Calyx Meredith said...

Hope your week went well! Did you keep on with the momentum you've been building or did you overdo it and need some recovery? I haven't quite been able to figure out the FitDay process. :S I like seeing your charts though - so I'm going to try to get to the point I have one of my own to show. Happy training and hope to "see" you soon.