Sunday, March 16, 2008

The plan is working!

This week I:
Ran Tuesday Thursday Friday and today (Sunday) - by today I was up to 40 minutes run (with walk breaks only every 4.5 minutes, give or take) plus cooldown.

Spinning Tuesday
Pilates Saturday
No swimming.
Still overeating, haven't lost any weight.
So, not perfect, but I definitely feel my fitness coming back. My weekday runs are shorter than I'm capable of, with a few bursts of speed, lots of walking breaks (I'm running to suit my partner) but going out often. That seems to be a good thing - I'm gently working out, but not exhausting myself so I have a lot to give on the weekend.

The official training runs start in 2 weeks - we had FIFTY kids sign up for the Marathon Project (that's middle and high school students) and so far, about six mentors. That doesn't seem like enough to me - I hope a few more come forward! Despite all our efforts to tell people you can be a total beginner, people don't seem to get that - when i tell them we're training now by running 3 minutes, walking a minute, their whole expression changes and they suddenly say, "oh, I could do that!"

The people running this show are great - they told hilarious stories of running with the kids last year, and gave out gift certificates for sports bras like they were cups of coffee - everyone got one (except me and my coworker - as staff we declined to take tickets and left them for the volunteers! But I WANTED one!)

I am very exhilarated by this new endeavor - I think it's going to be an amazing experience!

1 comment:

Calyx Meredith said...

I've just started following your blog in the last few weeks so I still don't know the whole story - but I love your pictures and the kindness to yourself and others that is manifest in your writing. Best of luck. I can't wait to hear more about this new project. Peace.