Saturday, May 03, 2008

First Race: Done.

It turns out I can run five miles. I was one minute-ish slower than last year - not surprising given the layoff and the extra poundage I'm currently carrying (and the fact that I'm due for my period today - bad timing!) . I am pretty sure I was completely utterly last (of the runners.) I am not complaining or whining - it's a strange sort of badge of honor! Of course I'll be proud and pleased if I ever get faster, but meanwhile, someone has to be last, and the last person across the line still ran the race! (My time was 1:02 and change for five hilly miles.)

It was cold out - I wore my new shorts, which I love, but I think my legs would have worked better in mile 4 and 45 if they'd been a little warmer. My first two miles were in good time (for me) 12:01 and 11:45 respectively. But I slowed down progressively after that (of course Mile 4 has a killer hill - it's the only time I walked for any length of time.) I carried my cool new cellphone in my picket in case I wanted to take pictures, but I didn't want to stop. It was beautiful out - misty and green - but there will be no photos posted of the route. (The cows were mildly suprised by the crowds, I think!)

I got the shakes a little when I finished - so came home to warm out instead of mill around and wait for prizes to be given out. Now I'm blogging instead of stretching - I'm sure I"ll regret that later! Off to NYC to see a passel of nephews! Tomorrow I'll write something about my new theory, the Law of Three

5 comments:

LBTEPA said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Calyx Meredith said...

Well done! Only one minute off after all the issues from last week? Well done indeed!

KrissyGo! said...

Hey congrats!

Too bad about the pics -- I woulda loved to have seen the startled cows, but I understand. :D

I can't wait to follow your adventures this season!

Unknown said...

Good job. I am so proud of you for getting out there and running that 5mile race. Go, Jenny, Go!! This is your year!!!

TriGirl Thea said...

YA-AY!

See. We all knew you could do it!
Well done you!

In the Tour de France the person who comes dead last (as opposed to dropping out of the race along the way) is given the honour of being presnted the Red Lantern.

So maybe you should celebrate by buying youself a little treat.

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Red-Lantern-Stories-Vietnamese/dp/0740777432/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210009748&sr=8-1