Saturday, May 10, 2008

The law of threes

I'm not sure this will work out if I really think it through, but my theory is: it only takes three days of not eating right and not working out before the feelings of well-being dissipate. Also that it takes three days in a row of a good workout and eating right before you start to feel any difference in the right direction.

Workouts this week have gone well. After Saturday's race, I did very little for the next few days, but I ran Tuesday (2.2 hobbling miles), Thursday (2 lazy miles), swam Friday morning (I felt really good - slow but smooth and steady!), ran 3-ish in the cold and rain Friday afternoon, and spun this morning. Tomorrow, if I can figure out when, I want to do a six-mile run. Hey, it's Mother's Day, I get to do what I want! (I'm on track for my schedule of increasing minutes week by week - my " long run" is supposed to be 60 minutes this week, and I did 62 minutes at the race last week.)

Hypnosis: I used half my latest hypnosis session, yesterday, to talk (OK cry hysterically) about the issue that's been lurking under the surface for me for a while - and I actually felt much better, and took some actions that helped. Today I'm feeling more hopeful than I have in months! Sorry to be so cryptic, but there it stays. The rest of the time she try to help me focus on food - it was weirder- more blatant, somehow- than I expected. She tried to implant the idea that the leftovers on the dinner plates would by covered with a layer of "thick white snotty fat" so I wouldn't want to eat any of it, I'd just put it all in the garbage. Last night I didn't eat any of their leftovers, mostly because I was thinking consciously about it, not because I was seized with revulsion whenever I reached for a scrap! Somehow, all the weight I lost 2 weeks ago came back last week - this is going to be really really hard. I'm thinking hard about going on WW like Misty - it's almost time to make that commitment! Too soon to say if the hypno itself is making any difference, overall. But I like the experience of doing it.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

3 comments:

Calyx Meredith said...

Happy Mother's Day to you too. I agree with you on the Law of Three. Here in our house we've talked about the "three days, three weeks, three months" pattern which is to say that it seems to take three days for the first gain (or loss) to show up, then three weeks later there seems to be another noticeable point (either positive or negative) and at three months a good habit feels solid - or a bad one seems entrenched. Have fun on your MD run!

LBTEPA said...

Hope you enjoyed MD :)
Losinf weight is so up-and-down it messes with your head - but you're doing so well!
I'm glad you are addressing your issue - holding anything significant inside is so tiring

TriGirl Thea said...

Its true. When I'm trying to lose weight, my weight fluctuates rather than going on a steady downward course. I know its easier said than done, but try not to let it get to you - switch to a tape measure if you have to.

The main thing is that you are focussed and are taking lots of positive steps in your life, and you should feel good about yourself for every single one of those steps.